|Intro||Nigerian politician and army officer|
|Birth||1 July 1947|
Idris Garba is a Nigerian soldier who was Military Governor of Kano State from 1989 to 1992.
Idris Garba was born on July 1947 in Gulu, Nigeria, Lapai Local Government Area (LGA) of Niger State. He had a secondary education in the Nigerian Military School, Zaria 1963 – 1967. He entered the Nigerian Defence Academy, Kaduna, and was commissioned as a second Lieutenant in 1968.
He attended the following courses:
- Artillery Troop Commanders Course USSR, July 1970 – September 1971
- Young Officers Course Nowshera, Pakistan, July – December, 1972
- Technical Gunnery Course Larkhill, Salisbury, UK, May – August, 1975.
- Field Artillery Officers Advanced Course, Forstill, Oklahoma, USA June 1977 to February 1978;
- Command and Staff College, Jaji August 1978 to September, 1979
- Regiment Battalion Commanders Course, Nigerian Army School of Infantry, Jaji in 1981.
His commands were:
- Troop Commander, second Field Artillery Regiment, Onitsha, November, 1968 – September 1969.
- Commanding Officer, second Field Artillery Regent (Rear) Ibadan, September 1969 to July 1970.
- Battalion Commander, Oyo September, 1971 to October, 1973.
- Instructor/Chief Instructor Nigerian Army School of Artillery, Kaduna 1974 to August, 1976;
- Commanding Officer, Commander, Heavy Artillery Regiment, September, 1976 to April 1980;
- Company Commander 82 Infantry Battalion UNIFIL, Lebanon. May to December, 1980;
- Commanding Officer, 342 Support REgiment, Zaria 1981 to 1983,
- Deputy Defence Adviser, Nigerian Embassy, Moscow 1983 – 1986
- Commander Officer, Short Service Course NDA Kaduna, December.
During the military rule of General Ibrahim Babangida (August 1985 – August 1993) he was appointed Military Governor of Benue State in 1988.
He was then appointed governor of Kano State in August 1988. In December 1991, Col. Idris Garba enacted an edict which repealed previous laws and vested the Kano State Sports Council with the responsibilities of promoting and developing sports in the state.