almost daily. Nigerian bread is not an exemption as it is some people’s preferred fast food.
Bread is not commonly made at home but when you have the itch and you’re no stranger to pastries and confectioneries, then you should try following the directions below to make yourself bread from the comfort of your kitchen.
How to make Nigerian bread: Tools needed
- 2 Mixing bowls
- Rolling pin
- Baking pan
- Flat surface (wooden board)
- Kitchen Knife
How to make Nigerian bread: Ingredients
- 3 cups all-purpose baking flour
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1½ tablespoon of sugar
- 1½ tablespoon of butter
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 sachet of quick rising yeast
- Vegetable oil
How to make Nigerian bread: Instructions
- Pour 2 cups of flour into a large mixing bowl, add sugar, yeast and salt.
- Mix ingredients well.
- Heat the milk till it’s warm, and pour to the flour mixture.
- Add the butter (melt it) and stir it thoroughly till you get a partially rough and sticky mixture.
- Using a tablespoon, begin adding the remaining cup of flour, one tablespoon at a time to the mixture and continue to stir.
- Continue to stir until the mixture is smooth, less sticky and more elastic.
- Coat your palms and the work surface with some flour and begin kneading thoroughly for about 10 minutes or till when you feel it’s kneaded enough.
- Coat another large bowl with cooking oil and put the dough into the bowl.
- Cover the large bowl with a napkin and put in an unheated oven for an hour.
- After an hour, dough should have risen to about twice its initial size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl onto the floured surface and punch dough two to four times. It should shrink back to normal.
- Put the dough into a baking pan and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to the size of the baking pan.
- Tuck the ends underneath and coat the sides and bottom of the pan with vegetable oil.
- Return the napkin cover and return into the unheated oven for another 1 hour.
- Remove the dough from the oven and with a knife, make several slashes on top of the dough.
- Heat up your to 375degrees (don’t put the dough inside just yet) wait for 5 minutes and out the baking pan into the oven.
- Let it bake for about 30 – 40 minutes and check it (the colour should now be golden brown).
- Remove it from the oven and use a tray to remove the bread from pan and let it cool completely before slicing it (around 15-20 minutes).
Your bread is ready to be consumed. Guess what?! You just made a home-made bread.
- Make sure you knead the dough well as poorly kneaded dough would only give you a rough and unsatisfactory result.
- Don’t forget to make the slices on the dough because it allows the heat to penetrate the dough and get evenly done.