In this post, we have provided the necessary information on the things you need to know about the Stanbic IBTC Pension scheme.
Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers Limited is one of the preferred Pension Fund Administrators in the country.
Stanbic IBTC Pension: All You Need to Know
It was founded in 2004, as a subsidiary of Stanbic IBTC Holdings PLC to provide pension fund management and administration services to customers from public and private sector employees.
Some of the definitions you should know relating to the Stanbic IBTC Pension scheme include:
RSA: Retirement Savings Account
SIPML: Stanbic IBTC Pension Managers Limited “Applicant” means the person making the application
When you open a Stanbic IBTC pension account, you can see all the necessary information related to your pension funds on your account dashboard once you download the app.
The app allows you to check account balance, view the last three transactions, generate an email statement, update personal information as well as reset or change forgotten password.
You can also check your pension balance by dialing *909# on your phone. This is done by choosing option 1 to see the balance. Another option is to send an SMS to 30388 with a request for the balance.
Let’s take a look at some of the FAQs when it comes to pension management
How do I withdraw money from my pension fund?
If you lost your job and you have been unable to get a new one within 4 months, the Stanbic IBTC Pension scheme allows you to withdraw 25% of your pension. However, you will need to submit the following documents
- Application Form: The form should clearly state that the client is applying for 25% of his/her RSA balance. It should also include the RSA holder’s signature on the application and it must be the same as that on our records.
- Passport Photograph
One passport photograph of the applicant is required.
- Birth Certificate/Age Declaration
It is required that the client provides his/her birth certificate or an age declaration from the Court.
- Exit Letter from Employer
- a) The letter (which should be on the letterhead of the employer) must state the effective date and mode of exit.
- b) As an applicant, you must have waited for 4 months after exit (and still without another job) to qualify for 25% application. Lagos State employees that have retired can apply if they are still unemployed after 3 months.
- Letter of Confirmation Letter (Private Sector Clients and Self-Funded Government Organizations only)
- Bond Certificate & Clearance Letter (Employees of Lagos State only)
- a) Certificate received during Bond ceremony.
- b) The retiree should complete the Lagos State’s clearance process to enable the Government to issue a clearance letter to SIPML.
- Bank Account Details
You should include your valid bank account number (not a 3rd party’s account) on the application form. And the account name should match what is on the record to prevent payment returns by the bank.
- Valid means of Identity which could be:
- a) National Identity Card
- b) Valid International Passport
- c) Valid Drivers’ License
- d) *Letter of confirmation of identity from the bank (this must be on the bank’s letterhead paper and duly stamped and signed)
- e) *Letter of confirmation of identity from a Notary Public (this must be on the notary public’s letterhead paper and duly signed and sealed)
*Passport photograph of the applicant must be on the letter duly stamped by the issuer.
The ID must have at least six (6) months before it expires and the date of birth on the above means of ID must be the same as the date of birth on the Pension scheme records
You should include your original documents for sighting. If you have a pre-2004 contribution in your RSA and are eligible to apply, kindly do so before applying for 25%. After you have been paid 25% of your contributions, you will no longer be eligible to apply for any pre-Act contributions.
Can I withdraw again after the first 25%?
After this initial withdrawal, you won’t be able to make any more withdrawals until you retire or turn 50.
How can a retiree withdraw funds when the retirement age comes?
Once you are eligible for the fund withdrawal you can make a request and they will prepare all the necessary documents, which will let you withdraw funds from your account without problems. You can reach them via emails, on the phone, in an instant webchat at their official website, or via a regular paper letter. All the contact details are available at their website so that you know where to turn to them.
How often are people allowed to withdraw their VC?
If you need to know the date of the nearest withdrawal, remember when the last approved one was and add two years. This will be the date of the next possible withdrawal of your funds. For instance, if the latest approved withdrawal took place in May 2018, the nearest one will take place in June 2020.
Can I withdraw their VC completely in one attempt?
You are able to withdraw no more than only 50% of the amount in a lump and only after a 2-year period after the previous withdrawal. This rule will be violated only in case the person who’s receiving access to the amount is a foreigner who has been working in Nigeria and is now returning home. After the first withdrawal, how will the next ones be treated? When you withdraw money from the account this way, you need to remember that the first withdrawal takes 50% of the entire amount you have on the account and the next one will take 50% of the new contributions made after the previous withdrawal. This means that your withdrawal will become smaller and smaller if you don’t contribute more.
What are the ways a retiree can access and withdraw money immediately after the retirement?
There are several available ways of withdrawing money in such a case. First of all, a lump withdrawal can be performed but only in case there’s something left on your account and this something can be used to purchase an annuity or execute programmed withdrawals. The programmed withdrawal is another option that’s available to a retiree. The program is composed of specialists who calculate a possible or expected life longevity for a particular person. This figure is used to divide the amount into separate parts in accordance with the number of years the person is supposed to live. The third option is a lump withdrawal of the entire amount at once. This option is available to those whose accounts store less than N500,000. Finally, the last thing that can be done is the purchase of an annuity from an insurance company.