The makeup industry has grown over the years to become a multi-billion dollar industry, not only because more women are likely to be wearing makeup, but because a whole range of men, especially the young ones, have become brave enough to wear it like it used to be was not the case. Some of these men, like Patrick Starr, have even turned it into a thriving business, earning a good amount of money.
Patrick is a professional freelance photographer and makeup artist popularized by his YouTube channel, which has garnered over four million subscribers and over 288 million views since joining the platform in 2013 through March 2019. He has uploaded many videos on YouTube which serve as proof that he really is an amazing makeup artist. Read on to find out more about this extraordinary bundle of talent.
Who is Patrick Starr?
The Filipino-American currently residing in Los Angeles, California was born on November 11th 1989 in Orlando, Florida named Patrick Simondac. He is his parents’ first child and has two brothers named Peter and Paul with whom he grew up in his birthplace.
Patrick Starr, like many other young people of the 21st century, became known through the video platform YouTube. Not venturing into the beauty industry by accident or because there was no other way for him to make a living, his decision to pursue a career in the industry was the result of a passion he had nurtured since childhood.
Beauty-related television programs like The Swan and Miss Universe also deepened his love of cosmetics and further convinced him that the beauty industry was his thing. Meanwhile, Patrick also loved photography. It was even from working as a photographer that he was inspired to venture into makeup.
In the same video, Patrick Starr also revealed that he wanted to be a nurse since he was a child and even studied nursing during his early college years, but fate always has a way of bringing someone back to where they were meant to be.
He worked at MAC Cosmetics, where he gained a lot of knowledge about makeup products and application. Knowing this, he created a YouTube channel called “PatrickStarr” on February 26, 2013, where he uploads makeup tutorials, beauty and lifestyle videos. Some of the videos on the channel are The Power of Makeup, How I Remove My Makeup, Makeup Transformation Time Lapse, My Wedding Makeup Tutorial, Complete Foundation Routine , and many others.
Because of his outstanding talent, Patrick Starr has been privileged to spawn a slew of superstars, including actresses Ashley Tisdale and Anneliese Van Der Pol, popular dancer Maddie Ziegler, reality television star Kim Kardashian and her mother Kris Jenner, and media personality Paris Hilton .
The internet sensation has millions of followers on various social media platforms. He has more than 4 million people following him on Instagram, over 4.2 million subscribers and over 288,000 views on YouTube (as of March 2019) and over nine thousand likes on Facebook and Twitter. It’s no surprise, then, that the hardworking young man has an estimated net worth of $300,000.
Because wearing makeup is prevalent, people associated with women can easily assume that anyone whose face is covered with makeup is a woman. Some Patrick Starr fans and followers had made this wrong conclusion about his gender, while others were unsure if he was male or female. Some of the latter decided to hear something coming from the horse’s mouth and asked Patrick to clear the air.
The makeup artist responded to the question and said he was a man. He revealed this in a video titled I’m a Man , saying he’s a man in makeup and he loves makeup so much. He has also made it public on his various social media platforms that he is gay.
All you need to know
1. Patrick’s parents, both Filipino, immigrated to the United States where they all had their children and raised them in the Catholic faith. While his mother is a nurse, his father is a businessman.
2. After Patrick’s parents tried and failed to convince their son to follow his initial dream of becoming a nurse, they decided to support him in his makeup business.
3. Although Starr is a native Filipino, he cannot communicate in his native language but understands it very well.
4. On August 2nd, 2017, Patrick Starr posted his Kim Kardashian West makeup tutorial on his YouTube channel. By the following year, the video had more than 12 million views, making it his most popular video on the platform. This number has since changed and as of March 2019 the number of views is over 14 million.
5. Besides makeup, Patrick has also done music. He uploaded his first music video, Got the Glam, on June 4th, 2018 and it has received over million views so far. He followed it up with Not on September 3, 2018.
6. The 5ft 10 inch beautician won the Best Beauty Channel award at the 2017 Streamy Awards.